GDC Foundation and seven Manitoba design studios have come together to provide two annual scholarships, from the Manitoba Studio Fund, to support historically marginalized students, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, (BIPOC), who are pursuing a degree or certificate in the field of design and design communications.
The Manitoba Studio Fund was created by and for designers, to assist students from traditionally racialized and disenfranchised communities in the province.
Two scholarships of $2,000 each are to be awarded: one to a student at the University of Manitoba, and one to a student at Red River College. The successful applicants will have applied in proper form to the GDC Foundation Scholarship program. The awards will be applied directly to the students’ tuitions.
The recipients of funding will also be awarded a paid work placement, or internship, at a studio or agency so that they can benefit from the first-hand experience and opportunities that come with being an integral part of a design practice.
Who can apply
This scholarship is available for BIPOC Graphic Design, UX/UI and Digital Media Design students. The scholarship is exclusive to Manitoba and the students must attend either the University of Manitoba or Red River College.
Open to anyone who is Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Colour, pursuing a degree or certificate in the field of design and visual communications, which includes the areas of graphic design, UX/UI, and digital media design:
– who was born in, or is a resident of Manitoba,
– who is enrolled full-time at the University of Manitoba or Red River College, and
– who is returning in the fall term to continue full-time studies, pursuing a degree, diploma or certificate in the field of design communications, and
– Applicant must be a GDC member in good standing. Click here to become a GDC student member.
Submission to include (in one PDF file with all materials combined in this order)
- Your contact information including name, mailing address, phone, email address, name of College or University and current year of study and confirmation that you meet all criteria listed above.
- Short personal letter (min. 200 words, max. 500 words) outlining reasons for applying for this specific scholarship, and your interest in and commitment to a career in design.
- Portfolio of three samples of your work.
- One letter of recommendation from an educator/instructor.
- School transcript (unofficial transcripts accepted).
Applicant agrees that GDC reserves the right to exhibit the winner’s portfolio submission. Students who are awarded the Scholarship agree to report back to the GDC Foundation upon completion of their awarded year, with information about how the scholarship benefitted them.
Applicant has not previously been awarded this Scholarship.
Applications are due May 1, 2021. Applications now closed.
Selection of Recipients
The GDC Education Committee will direct and monitor the award process on behalf of the GDC Foundation. Submissions will be accepted and judged once each calendar year. The Committee reserves the right to not award a scholarship if there are no qualified applicants or the criteria are not met. In this case, the Scholarship may be awarded the following year.
Questions? For more information, please email email@example.com