Robert Bringhurst is an award-winning poet, linguist, and typographer. He's received significant honours in each of these fields, including the BC Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Literary Excellence, a Guggenheim Fellowship in poetry, and the Edward Sapir Prize from the Society for Linguistic Anthropology.
Most graphic designers know him for his book The Elements of Typographic Style, a fundamental guide used by graphic designers and publishers, often required reading in design schools, which has now been translated into ten languages. He is also the author of The Surface of Meaning: Books and Book Design in Canada.
Five participants will bring their work to the event, to participate in an interactive critique and discussion of the work.
In addition, there's room for nine observers, primarily watching, but also participating in the dialogue.
Sunday, November 15th, 2015
at the Legacy Art Gallery in downtown Victoria
10am to 12pm, part 1
- break -
1:15pm to 3:15pm, part 2
Each of the five participants should be graphic designers who have done some work in book design.
- $90 for GDC Members
- $320 for non-Members
(Membership starts at $200, so if you're not one already, it's an excellent time to become a member.)
To apply to be a participant, send an email by 11pm, Saturday, October 24th to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- your name
- a one-sentence description of your current role and company
- and 3 relevant portfolio samples (links or attached JPEGs or small PDFs)
Max file size per email is 10 MB. The organizers will then get back to you to confirm whether there is room, and if so, provide instructions for online payment. Availability will simply be based on how many people apply to participate. If exactly five people with relevant portfolios apply, then each will be welcome to participate. If more people apply, we will select participants by portfolio relevance and/or lottery.
The nine observers can be anyone — graphic designers, typesetters, publishers, book enthusiasts — though preference will be given to graphic designers and graphic design students.
- $50 for GDC Members or GDC Student Members
- $120 for non-Members
(Student Membership costs $60, so if you're not one already, so it's an excellent time to become a member.)
To apply to be an observer, send an email by 11pm, Saturday, October 24th to email@example.com with:
- your name
- a one-sentence description of your current role and company or school
- a one-sentence description of why you want to attend
- if possible, links to more about you (your portfolio, your LinkedIn profile, etc)
The organizers will then get back to you to confirm whether there is room, and provide instructions for online payment. As with the participants, availability will simply be based on how many people apply to observe.
- Send email to organizers by 11pm, Saturday, October 24th.
- Receive email from organizers as to whether there's room for you by Monday, October 26th.
- Make online payment between Monday, October 26th and Friday, October 30th.
- Attend on Sunday, November 15th!