This course will be a month-long workshop focusing on the development, design, and completion of a professional OpenType font consisting of a basic character set of uppercase and lowercase, numbers, and essential punctuation and special characters. Students will develop an original typeface based on a concept of their own choosing.
The course will begin with students learning and exploring the fundamentals of Roman calligraphy to understand the calligraphic stroke in the making letterforms, and to generate their own unique typeface ideas. Students will then learn and use the Glyphs software to draw, space, kern, and output their font files. Students will then create a specimen piece of their choosing to demonstrate their font design in use.
The workshop will consist of interactive lectures and demonstrations of calligraphy, hand-lettering, and the Glyphs software. No previous knowledge or experience in calligraphy or font design is required. Participants will explore calligraphy and hand-lettering to understand the creation of letterforms, and will be encouraged to explore different styles that appeal to them. Students will walk away from the course with a strong understanding of the Glyphs software and of professional OpenType fonts.
Learn how to design your own digital typeface with Canada Type’s Kevin King in this five week intensive workshop June 7 to July 6 at the historic Coach House Press.
- Participants will have an opportunity to print a letterpress typeface specimen.
- Participants bring their own laptop with licensed software installed.
- Software required: Glyphs Mini
- Available at the App Store or https://glyphsapp.com/buy
- $62.99 non-academic, $31.99 academic license
- Workshop runs Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- The cost for this workshop is $460
For further information or to register contact Kevin King