IGM Financial Inc. is one of Canada's premier personal financial services companies, and one of the country's largest managers and distributors of investment funds and other managed asset products, with over $161 billion in total assets under management as of March 31, 2019. Its activities are carried out principally through Investors Group Inc., Mackenzie Financial Corporation and Investment Planning Counsel Inc.
As part of Power Financial Corporation, we are focused on the long-term strength and stability of our companies. We recognize these as core responsibilities to our clients and shareholders as we adapt and lead in an ever-changing world.
The department is responsible for best-in-class digital, print and video materials that support and elevate the brands within the organization along with shared operational services including translation, financial governance, marketing projects and production and media buying.
The Associate Manager, Production Design (AMPD) has leadership and management responsibility for a team of production designers who deliver technically accurate and industry standard production ready artwork for a range of mediums. The AMPD ensures the design solutions deliver on a consistent visual brand standard closely following brand guidelines. Duties include working with Production Team to assign projects, working with Manager of Production to ensure deadlines are met, and maintaining an efficient and engaging work environment for creative personnel. This role requires strong technical design skills, communication, project management, and problem-solving skills, and ability to establish and maintain solid relationships with staff members. The AMPD gets personally involved in production design responsibilities for complex projects and to help manage workload for on-time delivery.
• Manage and provide direction to production design team ensuring high quality deliverables within established timeframes and budget allocated, ensuring brand integrity is maintained as well as adheres to brand standards set by senior management
• Execute design solutions, revise and update existing design deliverables, and prepare production-ready files as needed, work with production designers and vendors to troubleshoot and problem solve production issues on files
• Work to improve process and workflow with the goal of increasing productivity and identifying new cost savings opportunities
• Oversee the delivery of high quality, production-ready artwork files by the production design team to meet vendor specifications and timing, including pre-flight as a QC process
• Ensure the design production team maintains and updates images, photos, videos and work products in appropriate asset management system, as well ensure strong archival system and processing for all work projects is maintained, including a DAM system where applicable
• Supervise the work of all production designers on the team, working closely to mentor them and develop their skills
• Responsible for approval of all materials leaving the production design team.
o Provide technical guidance based on project needs/complexity to meet production specifications and standards
o Direct and guide production designers in preparation of creative files to a high-quality, production-ready standard
o Check preliminary and final proofs for errors and make necessary corrections
o Monitor error rates and develop processes to mitigate reoccurrence
o Attend and/or supervise press runs as required
• Collaborate with Manager of Production to ensure alignment on all deliverables on a weekly basis. This will involve co-leading weekly Production Deliverables.
• Consult with and take direction from creative services graphic designers, creative directors, art directors, production managers, and marketing project leads
• Represent the creative services department when called upon to advise on options, budget and deadline considerations
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in graphic design or related field
• Minimum of five years of professional-level experience required in a production design role within an external or in-house agency
• Strong leadership skills in hiring, training, motivating, coaching, supervising, reviewing and providing direction to the production design team
• Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms
• Well-developed project management and problem-solving skills
• Strong organizational skills – ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
• Demonstrated ability to remain current with technologies and practices through ongoing education and professional development.
• Expert-level proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software: Adobe Certification in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop a plus
• Proficient in creating designs, concepts, and sample layouts based on knowledge of layout principles and aesthetic design concepts.
• Ability to create high quality CMYK or RGB images for print or multimedia.
• Understanding of dot gain, color separations, trapping, Pantone to CMYK conversions, imposition work and retouching
• Demonstrated working knowledge of composition, color, typeface selection, and other fundamentals of design
• Solid understanding of all production/printer-industry technical requirements required – prepress, offset, web, gravure, flexography, digital print, large format
• Strong understanding of file requirements for digital delivery
• HTML, HTML5 experience a plus