Design Station is a graphic design, communications and marketing company based in Whitehorse, Yukon. For the last 15 years it’s been a one-person operation, but now it’s time to grow (it’s never too soon, right?!).
I’m looking for a designer who has the flexibility and is interested in working on the kinds of things I do from week to week—ranging from infographics to food packaging, content copy editing to logo design, and web design and coding to artwork for clothing. Have you been doing these types of things for years? That’s awesome! Just wrapped up training at a design school? That’s great too. I’m interested in seeing who’s out there and is interested in a new adventure. Most of all, I’m looking for someone who loves collaboration, bouncing ideas back-and-forth, and making some cool stuff.
I’d prefer to work with someone who is willing to relocate to Whitehorse at a future date, when travel and moving are more easily accomplished. The Yukon is a pretty incredible place to live, especially if you love the outdoors. Hundreds of kilometres of trails for biking and skiing, a vibrant arts community, a half-dozen craft breweries, festivals, and tons of cultural and historical experiences. Plus we have our own airline that serves warm cookies (in normal times, anyway) and offers direct flights from Whitehorse to Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna, Calgary and Edmonton—so larger centres are only a couple of hours away.
Some specifics I’m looking for:
• Multi-year experience in graphic design or professional training (college or university degree in graphic design, visual arts, or similar)
• Full understanding of CMYK vs RGB, raster and vector files, and how to set up a vector file with correct outlines for cutting in vinyl or other production methods
• Strong understanding of pre-press requirements and setting up files for production, including bleeds, marks, and ink loading
• Skilled in creative apps including the Adobe creative suite or, ideally, the Affinity suite of apps (Affinity Designer, Publisher, and Photo)
Bonus points for experience with:
• Coding in HTML and CSS, with extra points for PHP and MySQL skills and familiarity with CMSs such as ExpressionEngine
• Writing and copy editing
• Motion graphics and animation
One last note: Design Station's website is 11 years old and I've been too busy to rebuild it (sadly), so a warning that recent examples of my work aren't present there. My goal is to have some more time to focus on things like that once I’ve got some help!